Sunday 28 July 2013

The Blood and Bandage


Week  ending 28th July

Whatever thoughts I have had of entering the Dublin marathon and maybe getting a sub 3.40 time were well and truly blown out of the water this week. My form has been poor since the Cork marathon marked by sluggish running and very streaky HR readings. Previously i had little problem after one marathon  going into one training cycle after another. This year is different.  I don’t really want to be putting myself under constant pressure aiming for a race where i am not prepared to accept less than my best. Also we have booked tickets to see Primal Scream on the weekend of the marathon so Bobby Gillespie wins out this time

I had made some noises via friends and social media about tackling Dublin but in truth it was ringing hollow. I am trying to persist with the long runs if only to be in shape to get around for the Achill half marathon at the end of August. My buddies organised  it as my 40th is on in a few weeks after that so i can hardly not finish it.

In previous entries I placed a lot of emphasis on the Hr monitor and using aspects of Maffetone training. That hasn’t changed but nothing wrong with the occasional race either.

Monday was a recovery run. 3 miles at 136 HR rate. On Tuesday did 5 miles with the newer running group in Mallow. Hr was under 140 yet pace was slow 9.20 per mile. On Wednesday i did 5 miles at a “faster” pace (8.30 pace) with a 150 Hr. Thursday marked by first 5 mile race in 12 weeks since i hit a 33.08 PB in Midleton. The  race took place in Churchtown South .This time I started wobbling at mile 3.5 coming in my slowest five mile time ever – 37.03 (7.27 pace).  Nevertheless I enjoyed the race and it was good to see my friends run well.

By Friday the cold i had picked up had really and truly kicked in not helped by the race on Thursday and possibly worsened by a night out with friends Friday night. No regrets on that score though a meeting with friends is always a valued occasion. On Saturday most of the snotty symptoms had gone but the barking chest stuff was still present. It meant sleeping out the long run with the club on Sunday morning.

By Sunday evening emboldened by the hurlers epic win against Kilkenny i decided to hit and see could I manage 10 miles. By mile 2 the chest was burning and whether it was the lungs , the heart or whatever  i had to pack it in after 3.5 miles.  I no energy what so ever in the body, a problem that has been there in one form or the other since June. This time it was probably worsened by the cold.

As tends to be the way with plan my goals and objectives are changing constantly. This time the plan for the next 2 months will be simple. Get the fitness back and get some races up on my belt. Times or more specifically PB’s are of secondary importance. I know my next planned marathon won’t be until April so plenty of time to build it up again.
Meanwhile let's enjoy the hurling.

Anyway mileage for the week 22 miles with one 5 mile race.
 

2 comments: