Sunday 7 July 2013

Getting back to my roots

The fact that I am contemplating entering a few races over the next month or so is a good sign that the hunger is coming back. The mental and physical recovery from my Cork marathon has been very difficult marked by mileage exceeding no more than 20 odd miles a week over the last 4 weeks. It probably means running the Dublin marathon in 16 weeks may be unlikely unless the long runs start increasing at a quicker rate. One must remember that this time last year I was running 55 miles a week with a low Hr in long runs and able to run 4 mile tempos at a strong pace. This time things are different being preoccupied with getting that blasted Hr down. The Maffetone method is one for the most patient but I am trying to apply during Monday, Wednesday, Sunday long runs. Thursday is put aside for a club session with the possibility of running a race or two over the next month. Tuesday is a scheduled tempo session.The road back will be hard but it's good to be back.

Monday 3 miles, Tuesday 5 miles, Thursday 5 miles, Sunday 8 miles.

2 comments:

  1. Good man Cathal. One step at a time. MAF training is the way to go. Do 5 mile MAF Hr evaluation runs every 4 weeks to monitor progress.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Will do my best Grellan but my training will be semiMaff rather than totalMaff. Not ideal I know

    ReplyDelete