Sunday 16 December 2012

Two contrasting tempo runs and meeting all sorts ....

Wednesday 12 th December

 
Depending on who you believe today or the 21st December marks the end of the world – my 3rd years informed me of this in class. Anyway my version of world's end was looming in front when I stood outside my house trying pitifully to look all fit and runner like by doing a few strides and drills. Yes it was time for my  tempo run. To be honest if I want to get under 70 minutes for Dungarvan I need to concentrate on temp runs and long runs. Anyway did 1 mile warm up to graveyard and then a mile down to the railway station, another mile back up to the graveyard and another mile on the Cork road turning off at the old Cork road by the council offices. I finished off with a 1 minute cooldown and a 1.5 mile jog home. Happy with the results. I kept the mlle temp under 21 minutes (20.48) but the mile splits did vary a bit with the last one over 7 minutes. That can be explained by having to slow down crossing the road and a strong headwind on the Cork road.

 
Mile 1 warmup (8.10) 3 mile tempo (6.48, 6.57, 7.03) and 1.5 mile cooldown 12.10


 
Thursday/Friday were total non running days. Came down with a cold and having to breathe through my mouth meant sleeping, nevermind running, was a issue.  Headed to Clon for the second week in a row to catch up with Doyler latest incursion into writing plays. This time I had Timmy for company and while I was on a strict diet of water and lemsips, a good night was had by all. In fact great kudos must be given to the boys and girls of the taigh na Astna company down in Clon. They are putting in great work with a lot of their players having no experience in acting. By Saturday morning i was doubting weather I would be taking part in the planned 5K dash in Doneraile park. I had planned to simply contribute to the cause by giving a donation and watching the race but as soon I received my number and spotted Sean Og O’hAilpin milling around I decided “What the hell”!!! warmed with Liam Murphy and Denis Cronin spotting a few familiar faces at the start line. My 5K history is pretty poor. My last experience of a 5K race was in Ovens last summer and any readers to the blog (is there any?) might remember it was a chastening experience. This time I was determined to improve my time and ideally run in around sub 21 minute pace. Of course after the first mile my plan to run a even pace went out the window. Ran the first mile in 6.16 and then the slow motion torture kicked in. Mile 2 passed in around 7.19 as did Sean og, Liam and Denis and a host of others. Glad to finish at the end. My third mile passed in 7.31 with the extra bit completed in 26 seconds. I timed my finishing time as 21mins 35seconds which if i had held my head and started slower should have been closer to 21 minutes. Still though a good workout and a good tune up race for the Newmarket 5K next Sunday week.  A bit more cop on required next time though.

 

1.5 mile warm up – 5k (ish) race @ 21.35 -1/2 mile cooldown.

 

Sunday

 
A welcome end to a long week was to be marked by a solo long run. Long is this case meaning 10 miles at 9 minute pace. It was obvious by mile 4 at the Charleville Hotel that it was going to be very long and very slow. My heart strap is out of action at the moment but I figured I was running too fast  as the cold was making breathing difficult. Dropped the pace to 9.30 pace and tipped away. Bumped into John Brady  of North Cork AC, ultra marathon warrior and Aidan Buckley who happened to be passing through town. John Brady was running sub 60 at ten miles and sub 3 marathons  in the days when runners were real hard nuts. Aidan is a bit of a icon in Mallow AC famous for high mileage, sub 3 marathons and a love for death, speed and gothic metal music. By 9 mile I had enough and was happy to go home. Next week will be looking for 10 miles. Steady as she goes.................. 9 miles in 1Hr23mins. Total Mileage for the week 29 miles

 

Below is a photo of myself and a true Cork sporting icon. I loved following the great Cork hurling team of 2003 to 2006 of which Sean , Donal Og Cusack and Brian Corcoran were my favourites. Will we see their like again?

4 comments:

  1. Hi Cathal,I'm still reading your blog as you are about the same standard as myself....although you did a much better marathon than I did.
    I see you're beginning to get back into it again after Dublin, although for a while you seemed to have lost a bit of motivation. I ran a 5K in 20:17 this w'end although i managed same race last year in under 20, hoping to focus on getting a bit of speed back at this distance before doing any longer races. I'll try to just do 5Ks and Raheny 5 over next few months and try to get down to 19:30 or so? Plan is to do lots of 800m reps and mile repeats with long recoveries but not too much mileage about 30 miles/week. What are your main goals over the winter-spring now that you are not targetting a marathon?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Colm. A week or two after Dublin I signed up for the Connemarathon 2013. Big mistake as mentally I could berely lift my head off the pillow in the morning. So I deffered it to 2014 as I didn't want to go into not properly prepared. Instead I will run the Dungarvan, Ballycotton and Mallow 10 and hope to get under 70 minutes. All going well I might be in the form to enter the Cork marathon next June. Some unfinished business with that one!!!! At the mo I am happy to be running 3/4 times a week with a speed session thrown in. Glad to see all is well Colm. Keep the faith

      Delete
  2. That's a though way to race a 5k Cathal. Still you were in good company (nice photo).

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It was a tough way Grellan and a bit dumb. Great to meet Sean Og, my family on my Dad's side are all na Pairsaigh people. Still thinking quietly about that Connemara 100 miler ;-) ?

      Delete