Tuesday 11 December 2012

Losing keys, drunks on the road and finding keys - a Christmas tale.

11th December. Tuesday night. Still very irritated after the debacle that was” Run Clonakilty” but despite that a excellent if a very weird weekend. My wife who was heading to her grandmother’s 90th birthday party rang me when I was in Clon to tell me she couldn’t find her car keys. I had the other set but was in Clon and she was due to head down to Kerry. Cue panic stations!!!

 

 Having to take her fathers car and driving her relatives all around the wilds of Ballyheigue didn’t do much for her mood. I, of course , couldn’t let it rest at that and drove from Clonakilty  up to Charleville to look for the keys and make sure everything was ok in the house. No sign of the keys and I went back up to Cork for beers. I was only a couple of minutes up the road when I spotted a guy sprawled right out in the middle of the road. Got out and of course he was as drunk as a skunk, reeking of vodka and brandy sporting a nasty cut on his head. I called the Gardai and they did the rest. Guy was lucky I didn’t drive over him.

 
 On Sunday myself and Aoiffe spent the day looking for the keys around the house and still no sign. Didn’t even get a chance to put the tree we  were in such a tizzy, that and my hangover.My poor wife blamed herself for the keys loss and I had visions of forking out 400 euros for a new set of two car keys. When i went into work next day they were on my desk winking at me and my stupidity. My mistake –oops!!!! I obviously brought  the extra set in by accidenton Friday morning . Needless to say I am still on the receiving end of a slagging.

 
By way of compensation jogged a slow 4 miles on Monday night with Aoiffe at 12 minute pace. Lovely evening for it. On Tuesday I didn’t do the usual club run in Mallow much preferring to do a solid 6 miles up on the legs at 8.20 pace. I haven’t much base running done and it’s no harm to get more focused in this regard. Also the Tuesday hill sessions were leaving me with some very pulled calves and I needed a rest to-night from it. Quite where my running plans are taking me these days I have no idea though I hope to a race a week until the end of Janruary 2013. It looks also as if marathon plans will take a back seat for a while - Connemara is deferred until 2014.

 
Monday 4 miles recovery and Tuesday 6 miles.

No comments:

Post a Comment