Thursday 21 June 2012

Man bites dog


18th June

Monday morning.

 Some of my mates are either injured at the mo or not actually doing / any much training. This isn’t surprising given the fact that the summer usually means you are more rather than less busy as a parent.  In case of one my friends his  injury problems are related to a suspect IT band issue. Hope it sorts itself out Aidan!!!! I have been lucky so far (touch wood) in regard to injuries but increasing mileage and doing a interval session like today does increase the risk. That said it is a chance worth taking given the potential benefits. Managed to sneak out the door at 5.30 and not wake Aoiffe. It’s amazing how good i am becoming at this!!!!

Ran 2.5 miles warm up. I went up and down Love lane , past Cavanaghs car dealership and back up the road again. Did that in around 8.27 pace. Now for the tricky bit... Running tempo’s is hard – “comfortably hard”. The schedule called for the 4 miles at half marathon pace. The point of the exercise is the push out the lactate threshold envelope, training your body to run at a fast pace but not fast enough to lead to lactate buildup. Anyone who feels soreness and stiffness in their quads after a tough game of soccer will know what lactate is. You want to run at such a pace so the body will become used to running at that pace and delay LT buildup. I ran the first mile in 7.18, second mile in 7.15 and mile 3 in 7.13. At this stage I was running quite well and close to my half marathon pace. The last mile was completed in 7.08. Not fast mile times and certainly slower than what I could do in a race but a good workout. I finished up with a easy 2.5 mile jog home in about 8.30 pace and was sitting down for breakfast at 7.15 am. Aoiffe wasn’t even out of bed. When I told her about my 5.30 run I got nothing more than a large yawn and a look that is normally saved for the simple minded and insane. The heavens opened up at 11.30 am and it bucketed down

9 miles 2.5 mile warm up, 4 miles at 7.14 pace (HR 160) and 2.5 mile cool down (HR 145)

19th June

Took advantage of a lie in this morning and didn’t leave the house until 8.36 am. The schedule called for a 11 mile “medium” run. Seemed like a lot to me so I approached this one with caution. The book defines medium runs as “similar pace to long runs and to avoid the temptation to go out too fast”. I made that mistake last Wednesday on my ten miler. I figured a 8.30 pace should keep the heart rate under 150. Not much to report on the run itself other than that it was a nice day for it and I bumped into a former pupil I taught in St Aidans way back when. He was coaching small kids on hurling skills-nice guy. He quipped “ Are you running to get away from  St Aidans?” By mile 8 I was finding the effort a bit tough and I was longing for it to finish. Sometimes slow running can be tough. On two occasions the heart rate went to 160 so I stopped and walked  for a minute each time.  To be honest i wasn’t enjoying it and the last half mile jog up the hill by the in-laws nearly did for me. Will do another 11 miles medium next week – these medium runs  progress a mile every week up to 15 miles!!! Won’t even contemplate the defeat to Italy. Spent the afternoon glazing the patio and watched "Layer Cake" on the box - nice!!!!
11 miles – 1.32.37- 8.25 pace- Heart rate 149

20th June

5 mile recovery jog. Jogged at 9.44 pace. 134 HRM. 48 minutes 47 seconds.

 A long recovery jog I have to admit but it will be needed when the mileage starts hitting the high 60’s.

21st June

Maybe my body is adapting to the schedules or maybe it’s the fact I am getting soaked all the time when i am out or maybe I should have re-read “THE BOOK” when it talks about general aerobic runs (pg 141)  but did I make a right dinner out of this one. Maybe my body was a  bit tired after donating a pint of blood yesterday. (always a good cause though and to be recommended) I was supposed to run 9 miles at general aerobic pace, the point of which was to increase training load and the pace was meant  to be 15 to 25% slower than marathon race pace (MP). That equates roughly to around 8.30 to9.45 a mile. Sounded way too slow to me and I was getting worried I hadn’t  ran a good session in a good while. (Actually I did on Monday but I was thinking more than 4 miles tempo). Ran up the hilly Love Lane  in 8.23 for mile 1. Went past the school in 7.35 for mile 2. Mile 3 took me out by Smiths Rd for 7.35. After that I was banjaxed. Back down Smiths rd in 8.28. Mile 5 involved a loop of the town park in 7.51 so i was running better but feeling terrible. Mile 6 was out towards Newline and out the Cork Rd in 7.52 but again feeling brutal. I knew I couldn’t sustain it and I stopped and jogged for a minute. Mile 7 was done in 8.07 and the rest of the last miles I crawled home – wet and miserable – 8.44 and 9.00. I felt a bit despondent. Early days yet but I was thinking if i can’t sustain a sub 8 pace on a 9 mile run , what hope a marathon? Anyway rest day tomorrow. My running so far this week has been poor. Will do 15 miles on Saturday and as i am a week early on the schedule will repeat as much of it as I can next week. Given the fact I have to head up country for a couple of days next week and start correcting state exams it might be asking too much too do all of the schedule again. We'll see....

Postscript

Had a small encounter with a dog owner up Love Lane. Her  cross bred German alastian was running around the road without a lead. He looked harmless but i wasn’t comfortable with it as I was running past him and she said era take no notice he’s harmless. I told her otherwise and told her have the dog on a lead. Nothing against dogs (in fact I think they are great) but surely the shaggin owners can do something as simple as have them on a lead.  I have had enough awkward incidents with dogs while running to know what I am talking about.One area down Bakers road is a no go area as the dogs have bitten in the past.  Anyway a small incident-time to face the rain again and the music leaving cert paper.

9 miles at 8.11 pacein 1.13.39. HR way too high – 158!!!

2 comments:

  1. Last December I had an issue with a dog - a german shepard - see here for details:
    http://thebeiruttaxi.wordpress.com/2011/12/07/dog-bites-man/

    ReplyDelete
  2. yeah I read that. You came off pretty badly there. My incident was more annoyying than dangerous. A squirt of water or shouting does the trick at the dumb beast (the dog not the owner)

    ReplyDelete