Friday 18 May 2012

When a rest is as good as a run ....


Monday 14th May

Instead of my normal interval work  I decided to use this week as a rest week. Not a rest from running just a rest from faster type running. Did 8 miles up in Mayfield at approx 9.10 pace. Got to see my niece Charlotte and popped down to a work thing later. Found the pace very relaxed and easy

Tuesday 15th May

One mile warm up 9min pace followed by 3 miles of walk jogging with Aoiffe. Did another 2.5 miles on my own, 25 minutes. Was on my feet for around  70 minutes. Total mileage 7 miles. Again a very slow pace.

Wednesday 16th May

Up in Mayfield again for this one. Added a extra mile by Banduff and Ballyvolane for this one. Attempted to run this at a undefined pace. Just wanted to see how I would go with it. Ran the first 5 miles at around 7.20 P – the terrain was largely downhill. Came up against that familiar hill by Montenotte up to Iona park. Never fails to throw me. That took me around 8.27 to complete and it was about to be a lot tougher from there to Boherboy rd. Miles 7 and miles 8 I did around 7.45to 7.55 pace – the last mile involving a long pull and rapid descent from Lady Crowned Church up to Lotabeg Green and down to the GAA pitch. The whole workout took 1hr and 50 seconds. While the pace dropped from around 7.20 average to 7.47 average  I was very happy with the workout as I managed the hills a lot better than last week.That said I will be resting over the next two days. A lot of late evenings this week with work and family commitments. A 2 hour commute every day is no joke and on Saturday I had a journey up and down to Bandon on top of my normal 350 miles a week car commute.

Thursday 17th May/Friday 18th May

Rest day.  Batteries feeling a bit low since Wednesday. Have done a fair bit of mileage since Rome marathon In March. Don’t want to be burning myself out before I even get into marathon training programme. Will definitely do 3 miles recovery on Sunday and back on track for next 4 weeks before I take another cutback week. Have house painting to keep me out of trouble on Saturday so meeting up for the match on Saturday may not happen at all

1 comment:

  1. Knowing when to listen to your body is an impotant skill to master.... Pity we're not all so good at it. Enjoy the cross training (aka painting) but don't let it get in the way of the match!!!!

    ReplyDelete