Friday 4 May 2012

Midleton 5 mile race


30th April

Did 7 miles. Mile 1 warm up, mile 2 at 6.45 pace,2 minute recovery, mile 3 at 6.35 pace, 2 minute recovery,1/2 mile at 6.50 pace, jogged a further 3.3 miles. Total 7 miles. I was encouraged to see my second mile repeat go faster than the first. Effort felt easier too. Decided to do a another ½ mile repeat but the game was up by the time I finished. Happy enough with the effort. Nice relaxed 3.3 mile jog home.

1st May

First day of Summer, second day of rain. Ran 8 miles in 1hr03mins. Works out as 7.52 pace. First mile went at 8.11 pace, at mile 5 decided to run at a 7.22 pace. Felt comfortable but decided to slow down for mile 6 (7.50 pace). Mile 8 finished at 7.36 pace. A good workout. The pace improved from 1 to mile 5, increased slightly at mile 6 and dropped again at mile 7 and mile 8.

2nd May

Second day of Summer, first day of sun. Ran 5 miles with my new heart monitor. Took around 50 minutes. Average heart rate 117.

3rd May

5 Mile Race Midleton

Was nervous about this one. I knew this represented my best chance of getting under 35 minutes / sub 7 minute pace. I had come close in Ballintotis 4 mile race a week previously and were it not for a crowded start line I would have made it. I ran the Midleton 5 two years ago. It was my second ever road race. I was happy to get around in 35.40 ish. Last year in the lead up to the Cork Marathon and in lashings of rain, I completed the race in 35.07. This year I was determined to allow for the fact that my Garmin would measure the course as being slightly over 5 miles. I reckoned a 6.50 average pace would get me under 35 minutes. At mile 1 I caught up  with my cousin Don Ryan. Don, a newly joined member of Midleton AC, is hoping to run the Cork Marathon. His times had improved dramatically since joining the club and I felt sticking with him would get me there. Anyway I felt awkward about getting in a close race with a family member (well until the last 200 metres anyway ;-) ). Mile 1 and Mile 2  passed in 6.40 and 6.49 respectively. Mile 3 had a slight hill in it and was reflected in the time of 6.59. I knew barring a trip or a injury I was doing well. I reached mile 4 in 6.56. Myself and Don were running very well together, each pushing the other along. Don was definitely running very well. We both laughed when a 8 year old boy jogged effortlessly pass a lot of us. Unreal!!!!! At mile 4.5 Don pulled to one side as his lace opened. Wishing him best of luck I took the last ½ mile like a man possessed. I was feeling very strong and could have easily have kept going for another 5 miles at this stage. I love the last 400 metres of this race – a straight run to the finish. Overtook a tall lad in black, almost catching up with a strong squarely built guy who was in front of me. Can’t deny I was pretty pumped crossing the line. A good days work. It is obvious the speed sessions are paying off. (Thanks Paudie!!! See you when you are pacing the Cork HM).

Don came in 6 seconds later- he too set a PB and was delighted with his time. Maybe we will race those last  200 metres next time!!!!

My time was 34.14 (6.50 pace) preceded by a 1.3 mile warm up jog.

30th April – 7 miles

1st May – 8 miles

2nd May – 5 miles                    3rd May 6.3 miles


1 comment:

  1. Fantastic result Cathal and a well run race, with enough in the bag to push hard over the last mile. Weekly speed sessions certainly pay off when it comes to racing. Onwards and upwards.

    ReplyDelete