Sunday 9 October 2022

Getting to the finish line means getting to the start line

 After dropping out of the Donadea 50k with Covid I rested for a couple weeks, self isolating and all that. I went back running hopeful of getting to the start line of the Cork City marathon. The running was going ok with the log runs getting to 18 miles by end of March. The problem was that I was completely wiped out after every run.....I mean wiped. Getting home and going to bed at 9 pm....this went on from March to April. The HR was high enough too even for the shortest runs - usually in the 155 range. On top of the fatigue was the picking up of coughs and colds, never a good sign. I popped into the doctor and after taking blood tests and going through a questionnaire he confirmed I was still dealing with the after effects of COVID and probably had developed a mild dose of long COVID. He told me to take a break.

After that I pretty much pulled back on the running and entered the half marathon instead. I was doing maybe a couple of 4 mile runs a week and long runs of 8 miles, maybe one of 10 miles. By June I was feeling a bit fresher but I felt I had little chance of finishing the half marathon and even at best maybe 2hr 20mins. On a personal note a close family member under went a serious health and lifestyle issue and that had to be tended too as well.

I turned on the start line with very little expectation. I hadn't even brought my Garmin with me and even contemplated pulling out so low was my confidence....

The run itself was a massively enjoyable experience and I had plenty of zip in my legs. I crossed the line in under 1hr55minutes, not my fastest half marathon but in view one of my best. I then realized the biggest factor holding me back these last 4 years wasn't illness or my age or my lack of preparedness it was me and no one else. I was chuffed with my run even though it wasn't the fastest or the best trained. 

Rule 1 : get the training done and turn up. Rule 2 finish. If the training isn't perfect turn up anyway 

Looking back on the last 4 years the failure to get to the start line in Manchester Dublin Connemara or to finish the virtual marathon (a low stakes non event admittedly ) was more about my failure to make allowances for myself rather than anything else. Running and being able to run is a gift.

Next post I will write about my training over the summer.

P. S Sad to see the passing of Thomas Bubendorfer, a inspiration as a runner and blogger.


No comments:

Post a Comment