Wednesday 7 May 2014

Watching the Limerick marathon


Wednesday 7th May

Haven’t updated in a while. Nothing remarkable to report.

The big running news for me this weekend was seeing my good buddy Aidan run the Limerick marathon in a PB time of 3.26.01. This was his second marathon. His first marathon was the Cork marathon where despite having a difficult time of it he still managed to finish in a credible 3hr50minutes. Aidan is a fast guy (1.08 in the Ballycotton 10) but probably is still feeling his way a bit as a road runner. Anyway a 24 minute PB and a sub 3.30 in only his second marathon points to very positive things indeed. Aidan as usual (out of cuteness or modesty) is dampening down his chances of a sub 3.20. I enjoyed watching the finish of the marathon, maybe one to do in future .I was scheduled to run the 6 mile race in the same event but the hip and left quad muscle were feeling less than comfortable so I gave it a miss. I was more than satisfied with my  11 mile run on the Saturday running the last 3 miles at 7.30 pace and the last mile at a relaxed pace.

Monday started with the usual unremarkable but very necessary recovery run. Tuesday consisted of a 5 mile run with 3 X 1 mile intervals. I ran the same workout last week with the intervals being run in 7.15, 6.53 and 6.52. This time the first two intervals passed in 6.50 and 6.40. The third interval was a bit of a mess. I failed to start the stopwatch and ¾ of a way up the road I had no idea what pace I was doing.  I reckon around 6.55 – 7.00 pace but that’s only a guess. Either way not a great workout (too fast with intervals, not even enough). I jogged the last mile home. On Wednesday I was up In Mayfield and fancied running 6 miles around the estate and football pitch. Things started getting awkward as the dog owners and dogs started getting more numerous. The dogs (not on a leash of course) either ran in front of me, after me or under my feet so I headed down the North ring road and up Banduff. That last mile was very tough with plenty of subtle drags and pulls. I was tired at the end but happy enough with the overall pace – 6 miles at 7.37 pace.  I did regret having a few sharp words with one lady dog owner up in the pitch, should have kept the gob shut. Not out of sympathy to her but it meant losing focus on my workout.

Week beginning 28th April (5miles with 3 X 1 , 5.60miles, 6miles, rest, rest,11mileswith 3 at 7.30, rest. Total miles 27.60).

Week beginning 5th May (3.3 miles, 5miles with 3 x 1, 6 miles)




No comments:

Post a Comment