Thursday 17 April 2014

11 days later.....


Week beginning 17th April

 

It’s been 11 days since the marathon in Connemara and at this stage it’s time to move on. It’s the period after a marathon that is always the strangest time. All the training is over culminating into a satisfying race. Time to move on- but not quite yet. That said having had a bit of time to mull over the race I was wondering where I could have improved. I still think losing 2 minutes at mile 5 (the time where my bib started to come off) and 2 minutes in the last 2 downhill miles (the legs were thrashed at that stage – didn’t expect that) was unfortunate but I was no closer to getting a sub 3.30 either way. Connemara is a tough course but I wouldn’t rule out a return. As stated before hand I was happy with getting my second fastest time of 3.37.23.

The big plan for the summer is get a bit of speed up on the legs. Essentially that means running a number of shorter races over the summer – 5 mile and 4 mile races and hopefully having some personal success in those. This all in turn is to play it’s part in getting me a PB in the Dublin marathon in October 2015. My dream time would be a sub 3hrs20mins but we will start with the basics for the moment.  There’s many a slip between cup and lip.

I headed for a 40 minute jog on Tuesday , Wednesday and Thursday. The latter run was in the company of my buddy Dermot and we were happy to do more talking than running. Anyway the legs felt fine. I covered 4.6 miles, 4.8 miles and 4 miles. All very easy and relaxed and no obvious physical or mental reaction. The only annoying aspect was the sore throat I picked up last Sunday in Fota attending a garden expo with my wife.  All the symptoms were above the throat but it has left me feeling a bit crocked nevertheless. Guess I will stick with the easy stuff for a while yet before moving onto any kind of speed work.

No comments:

Post a Comment