Sunday 23 February 2014

Good running and a 10k race


Week starting 17th February

In terms of mileage this was a lower mileage week than the previous week. 40 miles instead of 55 miles. However the workouts were intense and on the whole successful. Monday was nothing special – the usual 4 mile recovery jog. On Tuesday I met up with my friend Don Golden. He drove out from Donoughmore to go for a run around the Ballyhoura mountains. It’s only 5 miles from my house but i have never ran up there. A shame really so this was a chance to put the record straight and to ctach up with Don. We ran around 10 miles at a handy enough easy recovery pace – around 1hr34minutes. It was slow enough but the route at times was quite challenging. We both enjoyed it.

Wednesday was a different affair. Time for the dreaded tempo run. As I was off school for the week I was able to get a lie in bed and still get my workout completed in the daylight. I ran my favourite 9 mile loop from my house down to Pikes Cross and up Cooleens back to the house. I ran 2 mile warm up with 6 miles at 7.10 pace and a 1.4 mile cooldown. The splits were very positive -1) 7.13 2) 7.10 3) 7.09 4) 7.12 5) 7.09 6) 7.04 – encountering two hills at mile 3 and mile 4. My best tempo since last year.

Thursday I ran up in Mayfield. I was out for a few hours the night before with Derm and Tim watching the Arsenal game against Bayern Munich. I haven’t seen the lads in a while and it was a chance to go out and have a few beers but I was conscious of the workout and a few longstanding appointments i had planned for the day after. Ah well...... Anyway I ran 9 miles in 1hr10mins18mins. This was the fastest run I have run up in Mayfield on what is a hilly course. Things are looking up.

This brings to me to the 10k race in Adare. I took 2 days off running and I was feeling fresh if a little apprehensive. The course was supposed to be hilly and so it was. One hill was followed by another and another and another. I didn’t have a watch with me so I simply ran as i felt. By the time I finished I ran the distance in 43.42- not a PB but a good workout at around 7 minute pace. It was probably the toughest route i have run in a while and hopefully it will stand me in good stead.

Miles for the week 40 miles

No comments:

Post a Comment