Sunday 8 December 2013

The back to back 10 milers


Week beginning 2nd December

Ah the best laid plans......... Running wise the week was for the most part a write off. I went for my customary 2.5 mile walk with my wife. By Tuesday and Wednesday I didn’t get a chance to even put the trainers on. I know some smartarse coaches say you should always find the time to run but not a hope this week given that I was busy in work not just on the regular 9-4 shift but when I came home as well. Ideally I would if I could do all my running in the morning but as that would mean a 5 am start it hardly seems practical. I was all set to go out Thursday evening but after giving blood that evening going out for a run would have been daft. I nearly fainted the last time I tried it.  I am about as precious as it gets.

I resolved to do back to back runs over the Saturday and Sunday. I had planned to do 2 hours on Saturday and 1 hour on Sunday but decided to change it to do two 90 minutes back to back.  I reasoned The legs would be properly tired for Sunday. My poor wife had to listen to me moaning all week about not running so by the time I managed to get out in the afternoon she was more relived than I was. The legs were very leaden for most of the run but I was happy to hit 7 miles in the first hour. By mile 8 the wheels were coming off slightly so I stopped and power walked for 2 minutes before cutting the workout at 10 miles and 90 minutes. Then it was off to Jimmy Carr that night – very offensive and very funny.

Sunday morning I headed to Doneraile park. The lads in Mallow were doing 8 miles of hills but having got down there a half hour early I decided to get moving myself. The reality was I didn’t know how this would go for me so I was glad not to be holding anyone up. Doneraile is a deceptively difficult course with plenty of hills and drags. There is one particularly awful ½ mile climb which offers amazing views of the areas. I did the first 3.5 miles in around 31 minutes – certainly slow but understandable when you take the route into account. The next 3.5 miles was 33 minutes. I didn’t take the dreaded hill a third time. To be honest I was shagged. At mile 8.8 the mind tuned out and I stopped and walked for a minute before headed off again. The last mile was a real struggle, 10 minute pace but I was glad to get the workout done. 10 miles in around 1hr34minutes.

This was my first time running back to back 10 milers since April and it gave me plenty to ponder.I was happy to get the time and the mileage up on my legs. I wasn’t too bothered with the slow pace but I was disappointed to have not being able to have done the 10 mile runs in a smoother fashion.

Monday 2.5 mile walk with 10 miles on Saturday and Sunday at 9 minute and 9.30 pace respectively

1 comment:

  1. looking back over the last few weeks and months, this weekend is showing definite progress, cathal. good to see

    ReplyDelete