Monday 10 June 2013

Resting


9th June

Sunday evening. Ireland is enjoying it’s best week of sunshine in years and today is probably the hottest day in a number of years. 25 degrees is nothing compared to what other parts of the world enjoy but here in rainy Ireland it’s amounts to a cause of national celebration. It certainly makes our garden look well and contributed to a lovely mellow mood in Cork city on Friday night when I ventured out for a few beers. However from a running point of view (and I know I will get slaughtered here) it’s nothing short of a nightmare. Watching the club members take part in a 2 mile time trial last Thursday I didn’t envy them one bit. A good crowd turned up (51 or so) with a number of runners from other clubs taking part. Some of times were in the really high range – 10 minute to 12 minute miles with my own personal time (12mins33seconds) blown out of the water by some excellent efforts from club members. As I say the heat was savage that night so I was delighted to watch and observe.

Anyway I attempted my first run today on a glorious Sunday morning. It was all i could do to manage a slow 3 mile effort and that’s where I will be for a few weeks 3 miles, 4 miles, 5 miles. Hopefully I can make some inroads by August and be in a position to tackle the Dublin city marathon. I know I am better than my awfully poor time in Cork. After all any one who can run a 3.27 marathon, a sub 70 ten mile time and a 13.1 Pb of 1.34 is pretty useful. This summer will be a case of seeing if i have it in mind to put the record straight. Then again If i don't make Dublin, no fault either. 6 marathons in 26 months is a fair amount of running so maybe a break is needed. I am comitted to Connemara in April of next year, no chance of a PB there but looking forward to the challenge of doing it. My mind and body will tell me when i am ready.

By the way thanks to all the lovely comments left after my last blog entry. The comments were very nice and to be honest i felt slightly embarrassed at having to write such a tough report after such a poor run. One feels like a terrible eejit. Lets be honest I ran a stinker.
 The people in Mallow AC were very kind too. It's always a bit embarrassing chatting to people who are excellent runners explaining why one has bombed when they reach high standards.. I just hope I don’t come across as being some kind of bluffer. I never claimed to be fast just merely ambitious.... Such are joys of blogging and putting it out there....

3 miles Sunday plus 26.2 miles Cork city marathon .

 

No comments:

Post a Comment